Saturday, January 6, 2018

Leaving, Part 2: Jacob/Israel

So Israel took his journey with all that he had and came to Beersheba, and offered sacrifices to the God of his father Isaac. And God spoke to Israel in visions of the night and said, “Jacob, Jacob.” And he said, “Here I am.” Then he said, “I am God, the God of your father. Do not be afraid to go down to Egypt, for there I will make you into a great nation. I myself will go down with you to Egypt, and I will also bring you up again, and Joseph's hand shall close your eyes.”Then Jacob set out from Beersheba. The sons of Israel carried Jacob their father, their little ones, and their wives, in the wagons that Pharaoh had sent to carry him. They also took their livestock and their goods, which they had gained in the land of Canaan, and came into Egypt, Jacob and all his offspring with him, his sons, and his sons' sons with him, his daughters, and his sons' daughters. All his offspring he brought with him into Egypt. 
Genesis 46:1-7

Observations:
     Verse 1: He took all that he had
     Verse 2-3: God spoke to him and commanded that him to not be afraid, promised to make him into a great nation
     Verse 4: God will be with him, guide him, and bring him back
     Verse 5-7: all (like all of them) of his family came, brought all their belongings


Reflecting:

     The purpose of this journey wasn’t a permanent move. It was for Jacob/Israel to be reunited with his son. But he still had to leave in order to do it. He took his family and possessions and set out for the son he thought he’d lost forever. And God promised to be with him. Lord, make me rest assured that You’re with me when I leave this town. You’re doing incredible things in other places just as much as You are here, and You are capable of molding and growing me in any location on earth. I pray to have the courage and willingness to go wherever is next. It’s scary to think that I could face a time of loneliness in a new place, but I know You’ll be there (Mt. 28:20, Heb 13:5). Guide me to decipher and make a decision. Take me step by step, however it may look, until it’s clear and the door is opened. Jacob went to his lost son, so I pray that You’ll take me to those who are lost. I want to have the same motivation and drive that Jacob had as I venture to a new place, and be so trusting in Your commands that I'll pick up all I own to go. Tune my heart to Yours, so that I clearly see. Open my ears, mind, and heart to Your call.

No comments:

Post a Comment