Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Leaving, Part 3: David & Jonathan

I kind of dreaded reading this story, which is why it's couple days late. A probably-sad departure is coming my way in 4 months, so I didn't really want to read about one... But alas, here it is...

And as soon as the boy had gone, David rose from beside the stone heap and fell on his face to the ground and bowed three times. And they kissed one another and wept with one another, David weeping the most. Then Jonathan said to David, “Go in peace, because we have sworn both of us in the name of the Lord, saying, ‘The Lord shall be between me and you, and between my offspring and your offspring, forever.’” And he rose and departed, and Jonathan went into the city.1 Samuel 20:41-42

Observations:
     Verse 41: showed honor to each other, emotional/mournful goodbye
     Verse 42: “go in peace”, the Lord will connect them forever


Reflection:
     David and Jonathan weren’t just departing because they were moving. David was fleeing being killed at the hands of Jonathan’s father. I cannot imagine the despair that they both felt. As he hid and waited, David knew that the words Jonathan said would determine whether he remained in safety or fled for it. He knew the second Jonathan said, “Is not the arrow beyond you?” (v. 22, 37) that he had to leave his friend immediately. And Jonathan - his father was so determined to kill David that he would have killed his own son if he got in his way. I’m not awaiting news upon which I’ll leave immediately, no one is trying to kill me, and I’ll more than likely see all of my close friends from Stillwater again, maybe even often. But leaving dear friends is something I will face in just a few months. It will be mournful and emotional and I’m in no way looking forward to it. But what a blessing it is to have relationships like this. Like David and Jonathan, I'll go in peace because I know the Lord connects us. God, bring this truth to mind as I get closer to leaving. Put the peace with which Jonathan encouraged David at the front of my mind. And I know You can build friendships again because you’ve already done it. You’ve already shown me once in my life that distance does not have to break friendships. I thought I’d never have friends like I did in Costa Rica. I couldn’t imagine leaving. And here I am, in Stillwater, Oklahoma, where I can’t really imagine leaving, but I know that the Lord can do it yet again. Because of that, I can believe Jonathan’s words and leave in peace, not despair. The Holy Spirit is something we have in common whether we’re down the street from each other or across the country, and He provides a depth of relationship that doesn’t dissolve with distance.



No comments:

Post a Comment